Sunshine State and Snot Filled Noses

We’re back!

Isaac and I rolled in safely around 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Following our the details of our trip:

On Saturday, we packed up all the supplies and hung out with Derek, who would soon be family-less for 3 days. Our first flight was short and Isaac slept for most of it (with the help of some Benadryl). We barely had enough time during our layover in Charlotte to get a diaper change and get to the next gate. This was compounded by the fact that all the lazy man’s walking belt escalator things were broken. We boarded and we on our way. Isaac did ok during the second leg, but it was definitely a full time job to keep him entertained (and not screaming). We arrived on time, got our stuff, met my Dad and headed to St. Pete to my Grams and Gramps home. By the time we arrived, Isaac was ready to go to bed, so he said goodnight, and we ordered pizza.

Sunday brought lots of visitors, eager to meet the newest family member. My Aunt Sharon, Aunt Michelle, Uncle Nick, Cousin Nick, and his kids Nicholas and Alexis all stopped by. We also ventured out to see Terry’s (my stepdad, Isaac’s StepGramps) Mom, Dad, Sister and her family. On the way back, we stopped at one of my Dad’s friend’s house. Isaac got to take a dip in the pool (a welcome cool treat). We finally headed home. Isaac took a bath and hit the sack.

And then it hit.

Isaac woke up and screamed for the better portion of the night. I didn’t know if he was teething, or if the pudding I let him have for dessert gave him an upset stomach, or if he was coming down with the same thing Derek had informed me had put him out of commission for two days. Either way, it was a rough night.

In the morning, the boy had a runny nose and was very crabby. We had a low key morning, but headed to Amy’s (my Dad’s ex-wife), to visit briefly, in the afternoon. On Monday evening, my Gramps and Grams and Dad, me and Isaac went out to a nice dinner. The boy went to bed as soon as we got home, but screamed his little head off. I gave him some Benadryl and he nodded off. A little while later, I crawled into bed and was just dozing off when the screaming began. There was NO consoling him. I walked and bounced and patted and sang, and nothing worked. After about an hour, I think he tired himself out and we slept for awhile in a chair, so I could keep him upright (and able to breathe). I couldn’t sleep, so I moved to the bed. He slept very fitfully, waking up crying every hour or so.

Yesterday morning, it was time to pack up and get back on a plane… Yay. I got all ready while the boy played with the family. I had a grand plan that while he napped, I would shower, pack the car and when he awakened, we’d load him up and speed away. Except that he wouldn’t nap. Not even for a second. So, we spent the rest of the morning trying to keep the screaming minimized and around 10:00, we loaded a tired, snotty, groggy boy into the car. He fell asleep in about 2 minutes.

At the airport, I had to wake him up to go through security and he was unhappy about this. Our first flight was the long one this time and it seemed like it would never end. I pulled out all the stops to entertain him. Suckers, dvds, water bottle, formula bottle, food, toys, getting out of his seat, and holding my cell phone. We finally made it. In Charlotte this time, I had more time to get to my gate, so we ate, had a diaper change, used the working walking escalators and relaxed a little. When we boarded the second flight, Isaac screamed from the second we sat down until we pulled away from the gate. Then (again, thanks to Benadryl) he slept the rest of the trip.

We met Derek at the baggage claim and headed home. Home, sweet home.
Isaac slept 13 hours last night and seems to be relatively chipper, even if his face is crusted over with thick, yellow snot. 🙂

Leave a Reply